Sunday, January 31, 2010

This is NOT working.....

Mariah and I are doing school tonight. She has been sick and is way behind in her schoolwork with Idaho Virtual Academy. First of all, school is extremely hard for her, don't get me wrong, she is not dumb, far from it, which is part of the problem. She is extremely smart but can waste far more time than I can tolerate. She can make a 10 minute spelling paper turn into an hour. I know putting her in public education is not what I want or totally not what is best for her, but I can't do this anymore. The lessons are intense, there is so much schoolwork to do. I am not sure what to do but I know I can no longer do this. I am interested in unschooling but so scared that I will fail her. All I know, that right at this moment I am failing her and myself.

Editted to add:

LOL;LOL:LOL Mariah just brought me her sentences and one of them says, 'My mother is never weary". I had to laugh my head off at this sentence especially after I just posted my rant.

Editted again to add this quote I found from the internet:

"You can not make a child walk before they are ready. You can not make a child read before they are ready. You can however make a child think they are dumb or learn to hate reading if you push them before they are capable." -Stephanie, Throwing Marshmallows

4 comments:

Kelly Brumley said...

B and I are TOTALLY unschooling next year, I haven't told my DH yet because I am scared of what he is going to say but I am so stinkin' tired of not having time to go to the library, not have time to go to the park, not have time to plant seeds or paint. The lessons are insanely intense. My son is not a in the box thinker and never will be. He is reading better but no thanks to them, thanks to his speec thereapist who uses dramatic play and legos instead of trees worth of text books. Next year we are going to museums, learning math with a pencil and notebook and blocks and getting back to playdough and paint, I cannot handle the fighting and the whole push, push, push thing anymore.

Kelly Brumley said...

Edited: Thanks to his speech teacher not speec teacher ;0)

Amanda J said...

That is exactly how I feel and I am starting tomorrow. I will post our new schedule on a new post. I will be at work tomorrow but she can also learn on her own and that is another thing that I don't think is being taught. Most of the work involves me sitting right there next to her. I want to school her, I want to help her but I want her to learn how to also help herself!!

Unknown said...

I admire you both for doing what you do.My girls we both smarter than me by that age!!!!
guess wher I went to school?